The Graduate Record Examination(GRE) is one of the examinations that are held in high esteem and failing it would demand you to write again.
There is no examination that is difficult to pass, it depends on an individual mindset and the ability to thoroughly prepare for it.
Many people fail the GRE test not because they are unintelligent, but because they prepared wrongly for the exams.
However, if you want to ace your GRE test, read this article to the end to learn how to pass GRE with a high score.
About The Graduate Record Examination
The Graduate Record Examination is a standardized test required for admissions to master’s and doctoral degree programs in various graduate schools in the United States, Canada, and a few other countries.
The GRE is possessed and administered by Educational Testing Service, the world’s most extensive private not-for-profit educational testing and assessment organization.
According to ETS, the GRE seeks to estimate the verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, analytical writing, and critical thinking skills of the candidates.
However, GRE traverses areas including algebra, geometry, arithmetic, and vocabulary. It is offered as a computer-based exam issued at testing centers and institution-owned and licensed by Prometric.
The examination duration is about 3 hours and 45 minutes (includes 1-minute breaks after each section and a 10-minute break after the third section).
The GRE Test Content
The GRE General Test measures candidates’ verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking, and analytical writing skills.
These skills are very important in the 21st-century world and they are not related to any specific field of study but are crucial to all.
However, below are the content covered in the three test sections: Analytical Writing, Verbal Reasoning, and Quantitative Reasoning.
The Analytical Writing section measures candidates’ ability to
1. Articulate elaborate opinions clearly and effectively.
2. Back up ideas with appropriate reasons and examples.
3. Analyze claims and accompanying evidence.
4. Sustain a well-focused, intelligent discussion.
5. Control the components of standard written English
Furthermore, in the analytical section, candidates are required to provide accurate answers based on the questions they are asked.
The Verbal Reasoning section measures candidates’ ability to:
1. Examine and draw conclusions from discourse, reason from incomplete data, identify the author’s speculations or view and comprehend multiple levels of meaning, such as literal, figurative, and author’s purpose.
2. Select significant points, differentiate major from minor or unessential points, summarize text; comprehend the structure of a text.
3. Understand the meaning of individual words, sentences, and complete texts, and understand connections among words and among ideas.
The Quantitative Reasoning section measures candidates’ ability to:
1. Understand, interpret, and examine the quantitative statement.
2. Solve difficulties using mathematical standards.
3. Apply fundamental skills and elementary concepts of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and data analysis.
The Quantitative Reasoning section includes an on-screen calculator and you can get the Quantitative Reasoning question types and the Quantitative Reasoning section, including sample questions with explanations, and tips, and practice them for your examination.
Things To Know Before Registering For GRE
Before you begin the registration process for GRE, you need to know the following policies and procedures.
1. Check the test fees, and read the reschedule and cancellation policies.
2. Read and understand the ID requirements. You are expected to bring a valid and acceptable ID when you report to a test center, and it must correspond with the first and last name you used when creating your account and registering for your test.
3. Determine when you would like to take the test, the test is administered year-round on a first-come, first-served basis. View seat availability for your chosen date and location.
4. Allow sufficient time for score reporting when planning your test so you can meet the admissions deadlines for the schools to which you are applying.
5. Create an ETS account to get the most up-to-date test center information.
6. Decide which graduate institutions or fellowship sponsors you want to receive your scores, you can select up to four score recipients.
You can watch a quick video on how to register for a GRE test.
Steps On How To Register For GRE Online
Below are the important steps you can follow to register for GRE successfully
1. Log in to your ETS account or create an account if you are using it for the first time
2. On your My GRE home page, select Register/Find Test Centers.
3. Verify your email address, then continue.
4. To select your test appointment, confirm your time zone, or select a new one.
5. Choose the two-month period you would like to take the test, and select an available test date from the calendar.
6. Select an available time for your test, and click Register for this test.
7. Follow the directions to continue your registration and pay for your test.
However, once your registration is processed, you will receive a confirmation email from ETS confirming your test choice, test date, test center, or link to launch your at-home test, and score recipients.
How to pass GRE with a high score
GRE test is not as hard as people make it to be, you just need to devote your time to studying and everything will fall in the right places.
Adequate preparation precedes success and the secret to passing any examination depends on how you prepared for it.
However, below are the steps on how to pass GRE with a high score.
1. Be Motivated
Motivation and determination are what drive people to achieve great feats and you need motivation, especially when about to do something that is not enjoyable.
Motivation is what drives you to be committed and consistent in your studies, it helps you to set your goals and achieve them without fears.
Being motivated will help you pass GRE with a high score.
2. Set Your Target Score
To pass GRE with a high score, you must set your target score. It is very dangerous to study without sett=ing your target score.
Setting your target score will help you study effectively because the way you would study if you wanted to ace all the tests is different from the way you would study if you just wanted to just pass the test or fail it.
However, different universities have set up their GRE cut-off marks for students, so you need to research approved scores for every program you want to apply to and study hard to achieve the scores.
Setting your target score will motivate you to study diligently.
3. Make a Long-Term Study Plan
After setting your desired score, you need to decide the amount of time you would want to devote to studying for the GRE test.
The GRE test is not something you just wake up to prepare for it, you cannot even cover everything within a week, so you need to make a long-term study plan for it, you need to devote a few hours every day to study.
It is very bad to cram for the GRE test, you have to internalize everything you study to avoid failure and disappointment.
However, if you truly want to pass GRE with a high score, you must be determined to make a long-term study plan.
4. Create A Study Time Table
A study timetable is very important when studying for the GRE tests, it will help you pass GRE with a high score.
The timetable will help you read all the materials for the test equally and not abandon some.
When you are drafting your study timetable, you need to choose the time and date that are favorable to you and make sure you stick to it.
Study time table will help you to be disciplined and study everything you need to study at the speculated time.
5. Use High-Quality Resources
It is not just enough to study for the GRE test, to pass GRE with a high score, you must use only high-quality study materials for your studies.
The GRE test does not require you to read any material you come across, the best study materials you can use in studying are the official EST materials.
The Educational Testing Service(ETS) has also provided a PowerPrep practice test to help you prepare for the test.
The practice tests are created to help you become more familiar with the various question types, and testing tools, including the on-screen calculator.
The practice test will also help you to practice your test-taking techniques such as time management by timing yourself while taking the test and understanding the scoring.
The POWER PREP practice test is very helpful, it provides easy-to-follow expositions of important GRE concepts, real practice questions, straightforward answer explanations, and practical tips and methods.
6. Acknowledge Your Error
It is important to acknowledge your errors while studying, it will help you research further to arrive at the correct answer.
When you refuse to acknowledge your errors, you are likely going to make them again, so it is advisable to create an error log where you capture all the mistakes you made while studying, and you can create your error log using a notepad or computer.
On your error log, you can record the type of error you made, the error you made in detail, the reason you made the error, and the solution to the error.
You need to write down the things you can do to avoid making the same mistakes, is it studying hard or paying close attention to the questions.
7. Take Practice Tests Frequently
The GRE test is created to assess how skilled you are at quantitative reasoning, verbal reasoning, analytical writing, and critical thinking.
It is not an exam you can simply pass by just reading once or cramming all the materials, the test requires you to analyze and apply the information you have.
During your studies, it is important you take the practice test frequently, taking the practice test will give you an idea of how the GRE test is, the structure, format, and the type of questions asked.
The practice test will help you know the strategy to adopt in studying for the test so you can pass GRE with a high score.
8. Practice all sections of the test
Every part of the test is important, from quantitative reasoning to verbal reasoning and analytical writing.
Make sure you thoroughly practice all sections of the test, do not assume one is greater than the other, they are all equal.
The quantitative Reasoning section tests your ability to use numbers and mathematical concepts to solve mathematical problems, and your ability to examine data presented in different ways, such as in table or graph form.
To study the quantitative section, make a list of mathematical topics you are not conversant with and intensely study them.
You can practice your verbal reasoning by reading novels, language textbooks, magazines, etc.
You can perfect your grammar by utilizing free grammar resources online, watching the news, and seeing good movies.
9. Use Your Time Wisely
Time is always running fast and the ability to manage it well when studying for the GRE test will help you score high.
Endeavor to use your study time wisely, study the appropriate materials, and make sure the time allotted for studying is for studying and not for pressing the phone.
Manage your study time effectively if you want to pass GRE with a high score.
10. Get Help
It is not out of place to seek help when you cannot study and understand on your own. You can register for GRE classes online or offline to further develop your knowledge.
You can also pay a private tutor who has helped many people pass the GRE test to guide you so you can pass GRE with a high score.
11. Take Care Of Yourself
You need to take care of yourself while studying for the GRE test to avoid breaking down because health is paramount.
Many people devote their time to studying without eating or resting, when you study without eating or resting, you might break down on the exam day or develop a serious illness.
Your brain will be able to grasp what you are reading when you eat good food, rest, and exercise.
That’s all on how to pass GRE with a high score, I hope it helps you pass your GRE test with flying colors.